Search This Blog

Feb 3, 2015

java's DUKE - free pattern





I made this little DUKE mascot, on my husband's request, for a friend who is a JUG's member in our city. If anyone would like to see the archetype with my city's proud logo here it is:


I am wondering is there anyone else in this world geek-y enough to make crochet DUKE, If You did that or planning to do that with the pattern below You have to e-mail me the results and let me know I am not alone on this planet :P

Actually I think the mascot turned out great and I recommend it to anyone not only java enthusiasts. It's so friendly and funny looking that he doesn't even need eyes to be cute. It reminds me of the older versions of moogle's, because of the nose probably.

Materials:


  • white, black, red yarn ( I use the yarn which gauge is 24.0 to 30.0 sts = 4 inches )
  • hook 3 mm
  • bit of wire if You want hands to be adjustable
  • cotton wool or some else filament.



For those who like short patterns I present this photo:


You should know everything now, fasten off and end :P
In all seriousness I presented the photo to give You better understanding of the shape we are creating. I think it will help You better understand the pattern especially for the base. Red line is a start of line. I recommend You to mark it in some way, I use different colored yarn, as You  can see on many of my photos, this way You will not get lost in any line.



Base belly/back - make 2

white yarn

R1: 9 sc in MR (9)

R2: sc, inc 8 (17)

R3: *inc, sc 3* X3, inc, sc 2, inc, sc (22)

R4: *inc, sc 4* X3, inc, sc 2, inc 2, sc 2 (28)

R5: *inc, sc 5* X3, inc, sc 3, inc, sc, inc, sc 3 (34)

R6: *inc, sc 6* X3, inc, sc 4, inc, sc 2, inc, sc 4 (40)

R7: *inc, sc 7* X3, inc, sc 5, inc, sc 3, inc, sc 5 (46)

R8: *inc, sc 8* X3, inc,sc 6, inc, sc 4, inc, sc 6 (52) FO


On the right You can see the finished belly. Hope the photo will give You the idea which side is up and which down. So the shortest side of the polygon should be down, between the legs.

Let's make the first leg:

Right Leg (his right- it's important becouse You will dec on )

Symlink the white yarn and work in rounds so turn after every row

R1: 8 sc, 1 ch (8 I do not count the chain)

R2: 8 sc, 1 ch (8)

R3: dec, 6 sc, 1 ch (7)

R4: sc 5, dec, 1 ch (6)

R5: dec, 4 sc, 1 ch (5)

R6: sc 3, dec, 1 ch  (4)

R7: dec, sc, ss (3) FO




Left Leg 

white yarn

R1: 8 sc, 1 ch (8)

R2: 8 sc, 1 ch (8)

R3:  sc 6, dec, 1 ch (7)

R4: dec, sc 5, 1ch (6)

R5: sc 4, dec, 1 ch (5)

R6: dec, sc 3, 1 ch (4)

R7: ss, sc, dec (3) FO


Head

Symlink black yarn and work in rounds

R1: 10 sc, 1 ch (10)

R2: 10 sc, 1 ch (10)

R3: dec, 6 sc, dec, 1 ch (8)

R4: sc 8, 1 ch (8)

R5: dec, sc 4, dec, 1 ch (6)

R6: dec, sc 2, dec, 1 ch (4)

R7: sc 4, 1 ch (4)

R8:  dec, dec (2) FO


Nose

red yarn

R1: 9 ch (9)

R2: 8 sc on one side of chain, 8 sc on other (16)

R3: inc, sc 6, inc 2, sc 6, inc (20)

R4: inc 2, sc 6, inc 4, sc 6, inc 2 (28)

R5: sc around (28)

R6: sc around (28) FO


White reflection on the nose

white yarn

R1: 5 sc in MR (5)

R2: 4 ch, ss in 2-nd chain from hook, sc in 3-rd, hdc in 4-th, sc in hdc, sc in 1-st sc from R1's MR.

Sew the reflection to the nose just like shown on the photo.

Hands

There are two black hands each made from:


  • 4 crocheted fingers
  • 1 crocheted tube
  • 1 wired base









On the right You can see how my wired base looked like. I hope the grid gives You a clue about the measurements.
Finger - make 8 ( 4 for each hand)

black yarn

R1: 4 sc in MR (4)

R2: sc 4 (4)

R3: sc 4 (4) FO


Arm (tube) - make 2

black yarn

R1: 7 sc in MR (7)

R2: sc 7 (7)

R3: dec, sc, dec, sc 2 (5)

R4: sc 2, dec, sc (4)

R5: sc 4 (4)

R6: dc, ss, dc, ss (4) FO

dc-s from the last row are the place where You will sew fingers. Remember to put wire inside.









Below are the parts You should have up to this point:






You can sew the nose to the bode now. I put a bit of filament inside to make it nice and full.



We will be making the black outline now. Take the two bodies You made and put them together remember to watch that the right side is in front.




Now symlink the black thread to both layers and work sc around.






Before finishing leave a small gap, now stuff DUKE with cotton wool or some else filament.


Now finish the outline and sew hands on both sides, 1,5 cm above the black head line.

The end!





3 comments:

  1. I don't understand: *inc, sc 3* X3, inc, sc 2, inc, sc (22). I usually don't work with English patterns.
    please help me, Norah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sc- single crochet, inc -increase (make 2 sc in 1)
      inc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, inc, sc (22)
      Is it more clear now?

      Delete